Friday, May 6, 2011

Why does this feel like work?

Soooooo, Chopsticks NY is looking for a new cover illustrator. I am applying for the job. In the requirements, they want a portfolio with images that I want to be used for the magazine's cover. Arguably, all of my art has some japanese influence. But I only have a few that scream, "THIS IS JAPANESE! CULTURE!!" and they are mightily strange. Therefore, I am working on an image that is more subdued.

I needed to come up with an idea that illustrates New York City and Japan. Most of the past cover use food. Dammit, I don't want to draw sushi!

Something that would be easily recognizable to non-nipponphiles like myself....

Ah-ha!!

The juxtaposition of a Heian court lady stepping into a cab! I love mixing historical and contemporary themes. Not to mention I could go crazy with the clothing design.


The original sketch

Progress has been slow. Terribly, painfully slow. I don't have the ability to sit down at my computer and just draw. The beautiful interwebs is too distracting. I also feel like I have lost all ability to draw in Illustrator. I'm just becoming lazy! Lately, I have thoughts like, "Working on the folds of the sleeve is too hard. I'll do it later." That can't be healthy.

But I am learning a little. Like how damn difficult it is to find a good reference photo of juni-hitoe. I'm trying to understand how it's all tied! 


Current progress

Ahhh, I really need to fix some of those patterns. Blatant gradients are so tacky!

Anyway, I have about 10 days before the due date. I discovered that I concentrate better if I lay on my stomach.

...

I shall not leave my bed for the next week and a half.

No comments:

Post a Comment