Tuesday, July 13, 2010

And I go "Meh."



The title is "And this is..."

A long time ago...in Japan...this was going to be my latest self portrait. It was also my idea at the time to draw a yearly self portrait. In this original idea, I would be bent over with my cat, Pussy Willow, looking down at the ground with skyscrapers rising above us. Thus, I began...

and said, "Screw it." with the original idea. As I continued, I realized that no matter what I did, this woman was not going to be good looking. I believe that the women in my previous works were at least a little satisfying to the eyes (I could be wrong), but her...her! I just couldn't fix it. On the positive side, this is (out of my control) refreshing. 


Though one thing did remain from the original idea: The shirt pattern. This could be considered the sister project to "You Could Have It So Much Better."More proof is the woman's expression. Like I have explained before, I was distressed during that time period and was planning on showing that in my portrait. 


Like every other piece, I am not satisfied with the end result. Also like every other piece, there is nothing I can do about it. What really disappointed me was how the jacket turned out. I think using a complex rasterized image is way too tedious to use in a perspective object. The end result is just flat and resembles those ugly gansta jackets. There, I said it.

I also totally copped out on the background. The idea of skyscrapers no longer seemed fitting. So instead, a layered sky! Then a poor attempt at drawing a jet! Followed by a single star! The grand finale are those brown (supposedly silhouetted) trees! It truly is a grand piece!

No comments:

Post a Comment