Thursday, April 8, 2010

Facing my demons


It seems my creativity for my current project has run out. Luckily, I have (literally) 6 other projects I can work on.
One of them is an experimental piece, bordering on a style between Alphonse Mucha and Kay Nielsen. I have to admit, progress on this piece had been slow. Trying to capture that style in Illustrator is quite challenging and if I am not careful, it'll look like some horrible replica used for a Word document graphic.

It was going to be a serene moonlit picture, but after researching the Hypnerotomachia Poliphili, the picture took a turn in the darker direction.


Behold!! Strange silhouettes!
I never talk about this kind of topic, so this is a little embarrassing for me. It seems for most of my life, I have had this fascination with death and disasters, especially when symbolic. It probably is no surprise that I like Hypnerotomachia Poliphili. The book being full of symbolic man-slaughter.

As I have discussed with a friend, I believe the scariest monsters always have human form. This was in mind when I drew these little guys. Although, the one at the front looks more like a frog...

No comments:

Post a Comment