Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Chocolately Goodness!!


A still-life of a caramel Dove Chocolate™.

I had been wanting to do something like this ever since I saw an oil painting of a Reese Peanut Butter Cup™ that had used a lot of gold. Therefore, I bought 3 tubes of expensive metallic oil paint. No regrets!

But as Megan pointed out, the artist probably used gold leaf -- which she then lent to me!

Metallic oil paint is quite challenging. You need to lay it on thick, but then it easily clumps to the sides if you stroke the canvas too much. It also looks pretty bad when mixed with non metallic paints.

While working on this, I had thought I was finally mastering the paint and creating a some-what 3D effect for the wrapper. But as I look at it now...oh god. I need to (try) to fix everything!


The little fella working as my model


Considering, I think I have made a little progress in my pursuit for oil paint mastery (it's a long and painful road). This was all painted in about an hour. Quite an improvement compared to my portrait. Also, I am using brushes made out of REAL hair! The difference in quality is amazing. Something the old frugal me wouldn't understand. 

No comments:

Post a Comment