Monday, May 3, 2010

What a funny name

The second building I drew was all glass with a  diagonally slanted top. 



Does it look familiar? That's because it's (loosely) based off the Smurfit Stone Building. If that name doesn't ring a bell, here is an old picture I took of it:



Well...of what you can kind of see behind the pool. I actually (and not surprisingly) didn't know the name of this building. Fortunately, it's a Chicago landmark, so google searching became a lot easier. 

I remember watching a show about this building when I was around 6 years old. Apparently in it's early days, there was something dangerous about how it was constructed and how vulnerable it was to strong wind. As mentioned awhile ago, anything possibly disastrous caught my imagination.  

But besides that, isn't it cool how the apartment building I was in was right next to the Smurfit Stone Building? If I had gone to the college I was visiting at the time, this hopefully would've been where I would have lived. 


No comments:

Post a Comment